The principal goals of primary curriculum are as follows:
- To provide basic education for all
- To provide experiences applicable to learners daily living
- To provide education for national unity with common purposes and opportunity for local authorities to develop part of the curriculum suitable to their conditions and needs.
Primary education is the basic education which aims at developing the quality of life of the learners so that they can properly serve the society according to their roles and responsibilities as good citizens under democratic constitutional monarchy system. To achieve this aim, each learner will be equipped with basic knowledge and skills necessary for daily living, adjustment to social changes, good physical and mental health, effective work and happy and peaceful living.
Education provided according to this curriculum shall develop in learners the following characteristics:
- Basic learning skills, retention of literacy and mathematical skill.
- Knowledge and understanding about self, natural environment and social changes
- Ability to take care of personal and family health.
- Ability to identify causes of personal and family problems and to apply scientific reasoning skill in suggesting ways and means to solve them.
- Pride in being Thai, unselfishness, fair-mindedness and ability to live happily with others.
- Habits of reading and life-long learning
- Basic knowledge and skills in work, good work habits and ability to work cooperatively with others
- Knowledge and understanding about social conditions and changes at home and in the community; ability to play the roles and carry out responsibilities as good members of the family and community, to conserve and develop environment, to promote religion, arts and culture in the community.
The primary school curriculum is made up of 5 learning experience groupings as follows:
- Tool Subjects, comprising Thai language and mathematics.
- Life Experiences, dealing with the process of solving social and daily life problems with an emphasis on scientific process skills for better living.
- Character Development, dealing with activities necessary for developing desirable habits, values, attitudes and behaviour, which will lead to a desirable character.
- Work-oriented Experiences, dealing with general practical work experiences and basic knowledge for career preparation.
- Special Experience, dealing with activities based on learners’ interests provided for those in grades 5-6 only. Each school can organize learning activities according to learners’ needs and interests.
The total time allotment for primary currciulum is about six academic years, with not less than 40 weeks for each academic year and not less than 25 hours or 75 periods per week. The time alloted for each period is 20 minutes. Thus altogether the learning periods should not be less than 200 days or 1,000 hours. For grades 5 and 6 another 200 hours in the area of special Experiences shall be provided for activities based on learners’ interests.
The approximate time allotment for the five areas in each grade is as follows:
| Primary 1-2
|| Primary 3-4
|| Primary 4-6